The Summer Holiday Safe Sex Guide: Part 2 – Holiday STI Statistics

Return to list of blog posts

21 Aug 2015

The Summer Holiday Safe Sex Guide: Part 2 – Holiday STI Statistics

There’s nothing like some good old fashioned statistics, facts and pieces of anecdotal evidence to make people sit up and take notice. Whilst we don’t want to scare you, we’re using these stats to hopefully stop you making any mistakes on your holidays.

Global Stats

More than 1 million people acquire a new STI every single day.

Every year more than 500 million are affected by chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis and trichomoniasis.

More than 530 million people have the virus to give you genital herpes.

Some STIs can increase the likelihood of acquiring HIV by 300%

Eurovision

Whilst British holidaymakers have a (sometimes justified) terrible reputation for boozing and lewd behaviour, the UK is only third in Europe’s list of STI hotspots – with Sweden surprisingly taking the top spot. The country has suffered a 38% increase in cases of chlamydia and gonorrhoea in recent years. Here is the list of Europe’s top ten countries per capita seeking STI treatment:

1. Sweden

2. Germany

3. United Kingdom

4. Poland

5. France

6. Spain

7. Italy

8. Denmark

9. Switzerland

10. Austria

Furthermore the same report which revealed these statistics also found that the average age of infected parties has increased. Whilst 16-24 year olds used to be the most common age bracket seeking treatment – the average age for a person seeking STI care has grown to 34.9 years of age. This means you’re not safe if you’re just trying to shark the single dads by the pool.

Danger Spots

A number of holiday hot spots have been identified amongst the most likely places to receive a sexually transmitted infection according to a report from pharmacy network, UKMedix. Strip clubs, night clubs, beaches, parks and swimming pools were all found to be amongst the 10 most likely destinations for the spread of STIs. Strip clubs (clearly disregarding no-touching rules) were in fact the third most common site for the spread of STIs – accounting for 11% of British infections.

Night clubs and beaches accounted for 8% of infections whilst parks and swimming pools both contributed 6%.

The Ibiza Example

Summer Holiday Sex Guide - IbizaAlways at the forefront of hedonism, Ibiza is one of the most common destinations for the spread of STIs. A report from global healthcare knowledge provider, BMJ, from 2002 revealed that more than over half (56%) of all UK residents visiting the island had sex during their stay. The report went on to explain that 26.2% of males and 14.5% of females had sex with multiple partners during their holiday.

Only 62.4% of these made sure to use protection with the remaining 37.6% potentially putting themselves and their partners at risk of infection.

HIV/AIDS Statistics

Particularly pertinent if your holiday has a humanitarian effort, the World Health Organisation released figures in 2011, detailing the countries most affected by HIV/AIDS. Here is a list of the most affected countries and the adult prevalence of HIV/AIDS by %.

Swaziland – 26.5%

Botswana – 23.4%

Lesotho – 23.3%

South Africa – 19.1%

Zimbabwe – 14.9%

Namibia – 13.4%

Zambia – 12.5%

Mozambique – 11.3%

Malawi – 10%

Uganda – 7.2%

Whether you’re travelling for a holiday or the experience – the Freedoms Shop can help you stay protected. Our online store is stocked with a comprehensive range of top quality condoms and contraceptives from trusted brands and manufacturers.


Check out Part Three of our Summer Holiday Safe Sex Guide for STI Symptoms.

There are no comments for this blog.